Recently I’ve run into a bit of a rut in terms of getting any time to programme or to write updates for this site or my Other blog but I’ve decided that I will from this point forward try to write at least 5 articles per week (across the two, rather than on each – baby steps). As part of that, I’ve slightly changed this blog so that it won’t just be about Android, but also about roleplaying, and I’ll use the other one to comment on politics, news, and the like. I’ve also changed the layout to make it look a bit nicer, with any luck.
This is a new blog, it exists solely to document my process in learning to create apps for Android.
I’m completely new to Java, so this is all a little complicated for me right now. I have got some experience with languages like PHP, but Java is a very different kettle of fish.
I’m also enrolled in the App Inventor Beta. It’s a great tool, easy to use, but has some rather strict limitations, and the apks that it produces are rather large at present. As such, I think I’ll mostly be using Java.
So far I’ve done some of the Android tutorials, and have built a primitive notepad app. I want to develop it to the point that it functions more as a to-do list than a notepad. My roadmap is in the next post. You can find the app so far in the Android Marketplace as ZNotes. I’ve put a price of £1 on it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I’ve seen a lot of comment-spam on some of the more popular apps out there from websites that claim to have all paid apps on the Marketplace – I thought I’d see if they just download everything. If they do, they might just copy it and then return within a day – but even so, that would be interesting to know. Secondly, to discourage people from buying it until it’s nearer ready.
I will put a free download up on this site for people to use for as long as I’m developing the app, any feedback would be gratefully received.
For those interested, I’m programming using Eclipse, and find a lot of it’s auto-complete functions very useful – but it can get dangerous if you rely on it too much. The initial version of the app caused a crash to desktop as soon as you tried to add a note, simply because one of the activities was not declared in the manifest. That may seem like an obvious mistake to some, but it took me a couple of days to figure it out…
Anyhow, I’ll put the free download up tonight, let me know what you think 🙂